Tuesday 22 July 2008

Learning your lesson

Learning your lesson
__________________________________________________
"Child, it ain't easy being a Man." I was telling this to my friend David today.  He looked at me naively, not believing one word I was saying, "and believe me child, I am no liar!"
I grew redder and redder, madder and madder, I was shouting, "Child, what could you possibly know about being a man? You've lived all your life as a child, never experiencing the great responsibility and tension that comes with manhood." I knew that his whole argument was built on shaky foundations, he didn't need to say, I knew. His definition of manhood consisted solely of going to bed anytime you like and having money (from the job, that wasn't covered in his juvenile thinking) to buy video games on the day they are released. 
"You're a pecker Nick, why are you such a cock to me all the time?"
I was getting to him, I could feel myself crawling under his skin. Then he began to cry, right there, in the middle of an adult discussion, in the middle of a crowded street.   
 

No comments: